Motor Vehicle Rerlated Questions
Q. I am looking for information on the Graduated Driver’s License Program and license plate tag requirement. Where can I find this inforamation?
All permit or probationary license holders under the age of 21 must display a special decal on the front and rear license plate of the vehicle they are driving. Available at all Motor Vehicle Agencies for $4 a pair, the decals are easily affixed to the plates using a system that also allows for removal when the Graduated Driver License (GDL) holder is not behind the wheel.
To ensure that all permit and probationary license holders comply with the GDL law, teens and their parents should be aware that they
- may not be on the road between 11:01 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- may transport only one passenger in the vehicle. (The restriction is waived if the GDL holder is accompanied by a parent or guardian or transporting his /her dependents.)
- may not use a cell phone (hand held or hands-free), ipod, or any other wireless electronic device. (Portable or built-in GPS systems and ipods connected directly to a vehicle’s sound system are allowed, but teens should not make adjustments to these devices while driving.)
- must ensure that all vehicle occupants are buckled up.
- must display a decal on the front and rear license plate.
- may not plea bargain any point carrying offenses
More information can be found on the NJ Division of Motor Vehicles Website at
Parents of new drivers visit: www.NJteenDriving.com
Teens check this out: www.UGotBrains.com
Q. How can I report a pot hole?
Potholes on Rt. 202 and all other State maintained roadways can be reported directly to the NJ DOT on their website http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/potholeform.shtm
Potholes on Borough Roads can be reported directly to the Bernardsville DPW by calling 908-766-3000.
Potholes on County roadways can be reported directly to Somerset county by calling 231-7000.